Designed for Big Data
Transcending the demanding storage needs of large enterprise customers, storage OEMs, cloud service providers and resellers that require dense, shared HDD or hybrid storage.
Designed for Reliability and Flexibility
The Ultrastar Data60 is a key element of next-generation disaggregated storage and software-defined storage (SDS) systems, delivering high density and the flexibility to balance performance with cost. The Ultrastar Data60 provides up to 720TB of raw storage in a compact and efficient form factor.
Patented IsoVibe™ and ArcticFlow™ improve performance and cooling.
Choice of SAS or SATA and up to 24 SSD slots for a data acceleration tier.
Up to 60 Ultrastar® He12 HDDs (SAS or SATA) and up to 720TB of raw storage in 4U.
Patented IsoVibe technology ensures maximum performance even in heavy workloads.
The New ‘Superpowers’ In the Digital Universe
IoT and Big Data – Helping Each Other Grow
“According to a report from IBM Marketing Cloud, “10 Key Marketing Trends For 2017,’ 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years alone, at 2.50 quintillion bytes of data a day’. You can’t have intelligence machines without big data!”
As the IoT Grows, More Demands are Placed on Big Data Capabilities
“Exponential data growth toward 2020 and beyond. The size of the digital universe will double every two years at least – a 50-fold growth from 2010 to 2020. Scientific American claims that mankind produced as much new data in 2016 alone as it did since every year leading up to it”
AI Needs Big Data for Meaningful Results
“As data mining techniques grow to become more complex, and big data analytics operations, grow to become commonplace around the global marketplace, expect a boom in AI-driven solutions to soon disrupt everything we know about the contemporary economy.”
This new platform addresses the demanding storage needs of large enterprise customers, storage OEMs, cloud service providers and resellers/integrators that require dense, shared HDD or hybrid storage. The Ultrastar Data60® Hybrid Storage Platform provides the flexibility to specify the HDD and SSD combinations to balance capacity, performance and cost.
Designed for Big Data
Conventional dense disk shelves frequently suffer from performance degradation due to induced vibration from adjacent drives. Traditional platforms also have cooling challenges as the cooling air passes over successive rows of drives, losing effectiveness as it gets heated up along the airflow path. Developing storage devices and platforms side-by-side, we address these challenges through vertical innovation, a set of technologies developed based on a holistic view of devices, platform, and their interactions. The first two of these patented technologies are IsoVibe™ and ArcticFlow™. IsoVibe reduces vibration-induced performance degradation, while ArcticFlow overcomes the cooling issues by introducing cool air into the middle of the platform. Both these technologies contribute to long-term reliability, enabling our five‑year limited warranty on the entire platform.
- Interface — 12Gb/s SAS – 6Gb/s SATA
- Host Connections — Dual redundant I/O Modules (IOM) – 6 Mini-SAS HD ports per IOM
- Available Capacities — HDD up to 12TB – SSD up to 6.4TB
- Management — SCSI Enclosure Services – Redfish (out of band, via RJ45)
- Maximum Number of Drives — 60 x 3.5” drive bays – Up to 24 can be SAS or SATA SSD
- LED Indicator — Front/Rear: Power, ID, Fault – Drive: Activity, Fault
- Serviceability — Cable-free hot-swappable IOM, power supply, fans, and drives
- Power Characteristics — Dual 1600W, 80+ Platinum – 200-240V AC input, auto ranging, 50-60Hz
- Physical Size — Rack Size Height x Width x Depth mm (in) – Height: 175mm (6.89”) – Width: 447mm (17.61”) – Depth: 712mm (28.03”)
- Rack Space Requirements (rack units) — Max of 890mm (35.04”) w/ dual CMA—includes 24 SAS cables)
- Capacity / Physical Size — Height: 175mm (6.89”) – Width: 447mm (17.61”) – Depth: 712mm (28.05”)
- Weight — Product without drives: ~27.3kg (60lbs) – Product with 24 SSDs: ~79.4kg (175lbs)
Power and Cooling: Operating
- Altitude (m) — 40°C @ 3,000 ft
- Environmental Operating Temperature — 5 to 40°C
- Non-Operating Temperature — -40 to 60°C
- Humidity — 5 to 85% relative humidity
- Sound Power — < 7.58els @ 23+2°C
- Up to 60 Ultrastar® He12 HDDs (SAS or SATA)
- Up to 720TB of raw storage in 4U
- Dual-port SAS for high availability or single-port SATA for low cost
- Hybrid support for up to 24 SSDs (SAS or SATA) to create a data acceleration tier
- 4 rack units height, 712mm depth
- Up to 12 x 12Gb/s SAS3 host connections
- Patented IsoVibe technology ensures maximum performance even in heavy workloads
- Enterprise-grade redundant and hot-swappable PSUs, IO Modules and fans
- Improved cooling from innovative, patented ArcticFlow technology
- Rack-mounted top cover for quick and easy service
- Dense server expansion
- Software-defined storage
- Private cloud
- Big data analytics
- Data tier for service provider